Sunday, March 15, 2009

From the other side of the country

I had the intention of blogging before I left for my trip, but that didn't go as planned. Last week was somewhat calmer and I am so grateful for that. I managed to not get anything done until Thursday night. That night, I got my haircut and I worked on my packing. Let's just say that the few things I threw in the suitcase last Saturday were far short of what I actually took with me.

Friday was sheer chaos. Kasey and I headed out at 7:00 to meet with his therapists and case manager for his speech and special instruction. Kasey was discharged from his special instruction and his speech was dropped down to two days a week. Everyone couldn't believe how far he's come in six months. So that's the good news. The bad news is that he will only get services for the next six months, so I had to start thinking about preschool. Well, I actually enrolled Kasey in nursery school at the YMCA. It's only two days a week for 2.5 hours, but he also gets swimming lessons, which is really great. I am so sad that my little munchkin will need a backpack soon.

After all of that, I managed to bring Kasey to the gym and we went to McDonald's for lunch. Then, I dropped Kasey and Meme off at Meme's house and I headed to the mall to pick up some stuff for my trip. Once that was all done, I went to go visit Grandma Reyell at the hospital. She is doing so much better. I sadly had to dash away to bring my brother to Montreal.

Now bringing Craig to the airport was fun, UNTIL I had to drive home. I did get a bit lost and traffic was a mess, but I eventually got home. When I got there, Shannon and Cyle were there which meant a rousing night of cards. It was fun. We haven't done that in awhile.

Saturday, I'd just rather not even talk about. I basically flew around packing, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. I was in bed by 9:00 because I had to leave the house by 2:00 am.

After VERY little sleep, I rolled out of bed and was out the door by 2:30 am. I got to the airport just in time to find out that Continental AND TSA open at 4:30. So, I had to wait around for people to get to work. One of the x-ray machines was down, so security took forever. My flight to Newark was a bit rough, but at least it was fast. I managed to take a quick nap. My flight to Seattle was a nightmare. We boarded a little late and I was hoping to have the seat next to me empty. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. A very nice man from Tel Aviv sat next to me, which wouldn't have been a problem if he had showered or brushed his teeth in the last week. It was all topped off when he fell asleep. He happened to start snoring AND FARTING! It was SO gross. I almost puked. The plane was full, so I couldn't move. Let's just say that it was a really long six hours. Once we landed I grabbed the shuttle to Enterprise and picked up my car. After two hours of driving, I finally arrived in Bellingham. Now, I am just relaxing and trying to stay awake.

I hope this week goes well. It's really beautiful up here in the Pacific Northwest, but I really miss my family. I guess Kasey kept asking where I went and he doesn't really get it. I feel so bad. Oh well. He'll forget all about me by tomorrow. Anyway, I get to see Aunt Coleen and Uncle Dave at the end of the week, so that will be really exciting!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Have a fun trip and enjoy your time alone. I'm sure it's hard being away from Kasey, but you need some Mommy time...even if it is a lot of work you have to do. Let us know when you get back and maybe we can get together. Talk to you soon!

Erika said...

Thanks, Dee. I really like it out here, but it sucks that it is nicer at home. Go figure, right? Work is going okay. I'll be back next Monday. We need to get together!!